27.7.10

Interview: Matthew Billington





     Matthew Billington in recent years have seen the artist tend towards more a vintage quality with modern take. This eye-catching, puzzling methodology of cutting and pasting has amassed a cadre of loyal fans and collectors. 

Where do you draw inspiration from?
The most important lesson and very first lesson I learned was the infamous "spec work". This was when I just started promoting my work, about a year or so after graduating and a record label that shall remain anonymous approached me. I like a lot of 

Are there any particular artists that influence your work?
 I pull from a mix of various inspirations, music, culture, family, b-horror movies, Gil Elvgren, some of the heavy hitters in illustration today Eduardo Recife, Julien Pacaud. Dadaism, Futurism, swiss typography, band posters, Nate Williams, Blaine Fontana, Tim Biskup, vintage advertising the list goes on and on.



When did you realise that you wanted to be an artist, or an illustrator? Was it always your dream or did you have other plans in mind?
Since I can remember. I have drawings from when I was 5 years old. I can still remember watching cartoons and drawing the characters. 


Your mind is your work tool. How do you take care of it?
A few mind reps and brain crunches and I'm good to go. As well as a steady diet of cigarettes and tap water. mmmmm





     I can see that your style consist of collage-like elements, Do you believe that collage is a very useful skill to have?
Collage as a design tool is a very important skill to have. It transcends style and content, as simple as a layout. You can use any medium you like, what it really boils down to is. Can you design a page? 


    You seem to be a well-rounded designer. which are of design do you think is your strength? 
Thank you! My strength is in being awesome. Joking worked in every design oriented avenue after I graduated, except illustration (what I studied in University). 
Pre press production, Branding, web design, motion graphics....dog walking. But illustration and design is definitely my strength and passion. 



What is the most important lesson you've learned since you've started designing?How do you apply it to your work now?
The most important lesson and very first lesson I learned was the infamous "spec work". This was when I just started promoting my work, about a year or so after graduating and a record label that shall remain anonymous approached me. I like a lot of aspiring illustrators/ designers you accept the job thinking you'll blow their minds. Needless to say It didn't work out. So much time wasted. 
Lessoned learned kids "spec work" is killing our industry. Don't accept spec work




What role does technology play in your creative process?
Technology on my creative process...other then my scanner and computer. Not a whole lot.

    How do you avoid repeating yourself? How do you stay fresh?
 There's that fine line on staying fresh and staying consistent. Luckily I don't have to worry about that.




What are you working on now?
I recently working on a few album covers for EMI records as well as working on an editorial illustration for the St. Petersburg times. It's been a busy week. At this very moment I'm working on a collaboration with Society6/ Color Magazine and Vans shoes.
  
What is the most important piece of advice you could give to a young art student or aspiring artist
Persistence is everything.....and spec work bad

Related Posts with Thumbnails